Getting started with home automation can be daunting. Whether you’re starting out with a smart speaker or experimenting with your new home system, there are so many options that it can be hard to know where to start! To make it simple, we’ve compiled some of our favourite automations which are quick and easy to set up in your home.
- Start and end your day off right with Sunrise and Bedtime lighting settings. Not only do they make getting up in the morning easier, but they’re also very good for your health. Set your lights to come on gradually in the morning to improve your circadian rhythm, and fade into warm light before bedtime to give you a restful night’s sleep.
- Get your garden summer-ready with dusk/dawn schedules for your outdoor lighting. Seamlessly transition from sunny days to warm nights without needing to touch your outdoor lights.
- Going out? Make a wireless master switch by your front door that puts your home into away mode. It might turn off any lights left on, set your security system, and turn on any indoor cams.
- Come home to a warm, well-lit house with a coming home routine that makes walking through the door at the end of a day even more relaxing. You can even take it a step further and explore geofencing, which will trigger your smart devices based on your proximity to your home.
- Get the whole family involved with a movie night command that dims the lights ready for a night in. If you’re using a smart speaker, you can make a voice command that your kids will love to shout as the film is set up.
- Bring some luxury to your day-to-day routine with a dinner-time routine. Turn your lights off in the kitchen, get the ambient lighting going in the dining room, and play your favourite dining playlist with one easy command.
- Not a routine per se but handy to set up nonetheless, are power usage notifications to your phone. Find out if devices are plugged in, unplugged, or even pulling too much power as soon as they happen.
- Remind yourself to take breaks while you work from home with audio and visual cues that go off on the hour, or whenever suits you best. Schedule lighting changes or music to play when you need that push to stretch your legs and change it back to help you focus.
- Always forgetting to turn the lights off before you go to bed? Set a command or wire-free switch up to turn everything off when you come upstairs.
- Make mornings easier with a (lengthy) morning routine that wakes you up to your favourite radio station or playlist, warms the towel heater up for the end of your shower, and even turns the kettle or coffee machine on for a fresh cup of coffee.
There you have it: our top 10 ideas for starting to automate your home. These easy-to-set-up automations and routines will give you the first taste of Smart Living. For more ways on how to automate your home with Lightwave visit our Ideas and Inspiration page.
Leave a Reply